Communication Training Officer Certification Course
- Coordinator: Ken Hawkins
- Length of course: 24 hours
- Course hours: 0830 – 1630 hours
- Location: Vermont Police Academy
- Date: November 21 - 23, 2016
- Vermont: None
- Out-of-state: Commuting: $116.00, Overnight: $272.00
- The Emergency Communication Dispatcher seeking to become a CTO must:
- Have a minimum of TWO YEARS experience as an Emergency Communication Dispatcher.
- Have approval by the agency head,
- A strong desire to teach new officers, and
- Have the attributes of a successful CTO, which includes being professional, knowledgeable, committed, ethical, and fair.
- Registration: Fax the in-service registration form (Word or PDF) to 802-483-2343 or email it to our registrar at email@example.com
The Communication Training Officer has a significant impact on the individual trainee in terms of imprinting attitudes, style, values, and ethics in carrying out the duties of policing that will remain with the officer throughout a career.
- California Post
The Communication Training Officer Program (CTOP) provides for the initial formal and informal training specifics of the day-to-day dispatch operations. The CTOP also introduces the trainee to the internal operation of an Agency including the agency’s policies and procedures. For the agency, the CTOP is also part of the hiring process.
Imperative to this program is the Communication Training Officer (CTO).
The Communication Training Officer Certification Course (CTOCC) is designed for the dispatcher who is seeking certification as a CommunicationTraining Officer. This course, although developed from the FTO San Jose (CA) Model, is Vermont oriented.
Subjects included in this course:
- History and development of the program;
- The CTO process;
- The role of the CTO;
- Leadership models;
- CTO liability issues;
- Ethics and being a CTO;
- Standardized evaluative procedures and forms;
- The adult learning model; and
- Vermont’s CTO certification process;
Practical exercises will be utilized to fine-tune important demonstrative areas.
Successful completion of the CTOCC will be based on class participation and passing a graded teaching exercise at the conclusion of the school.