To obtain Level III (formerly “Full-Time” certification), individuals attend a comprehensive 16-week residential Basic Training Academy. If they have no previous training, they also attend approximately 3 weeks of post-basic classes. In addition, individual police agencies may have a pre- and/or post-basic training program.
For questions about Level III Basic Training email Kenneth Hawkins
Basic Training for Police Professionals
The Vermont Police Academy conducts two level III basic training classes each year. The sixteen (16) week course is conducted in an environment consisting of both police discipline and academics, designed to prepare an individual for a career in policing. The curriculum includes Criminal Law, Defensive Tactics, Conflict Management/Crisis Intervention Training, Community Policing, Investigative Procedures, Motor Vehicle Law, Patrol Procedures and much more.
- Students must maintain acceptable academic standards to remain in the program (minimum 70% average and maximum of four failures on graded assignments/practicals or competencies).
- Athletics and physical training are mandatory and are as much a part of the training program as academics.
- Classes run from Monday through Friday.
- During the week students are required to remain at the Academy and adhere to Academy rules and regulations.
- Upon satisfactory completion of the program students will be certified or certifiable by the Vermont Criminal Justice Council.
114th Basic Training Class for Police Professionals (Level III Certification)
- When you submit a registration form you will receive confirmation that a seat has been reserved for your applicant.
- Once all seats are filled, subsequent applicants will be placed on a stand-by list.
- PT testing is offered monthly at the Academy and anyone may sign up to assess their performance.
- However, all potential recruits for the 114th Basic must attend and pass the PT test held at the Academy. There are three (3) sessions available, only one has to be attended and successfully completed. the dates are:
- All incoming recruits who pass must then attend orientation at 0830 hours, also at the Academy on 8/1/2022
- Day one of the 114th Basic Training course will be 08/22/2022
- 114th Deadlines
- 114th Entrance memo (includes packing list)
- Level III registration sheet for the 114th Basic Training Course
- Statement of Completion for the 114th Basic
- 114th Recruit Manual